Thursday 2 February 2012

The Mystery of the Moon Princess

I stumbled across the movie The Secret of Moonacre as I was flicking through the channels a few weekends ago. I was caught by the beautiful clothing and styling, and as I can't speak German and couldn't understand anything on any of the channels this was enough to keep me tuned. (I have a feeling if I could have understood more of the most-likely-cheesy lines I would not have watched as much as I did!) The German translation of the title is The Mystery of the Moon Princess, which I like better than The Secret of Moonacre and which is different again to the book it was loosely based on -The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.
After seeing the movie but not knowing quite what was going on in it I was quite curious to read the book. I found a lot of praise for the book including a recommendation by J. K Rowling. Perhaps it was this praise and high expectations which made me disappointed with it. I found it wearying with its description of perfection and its inconsistent characters. Though I will admit that if I had read it when I was 13 and with no expectations I would probably have loved it. In contrast to the novel the movie received poor reviews, but I have to love it for its costumes and sets. The embroidered bag is just lovely.

Here's some eye candy shots for you...




xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!